(This is a translation of the official version in Chinese 沪交研〔2019〕84号. In case of any discrepancy, the Chinese version shall prevail.)
Chapter One General Provisions
Article 1 To push through graduate education reform, and to improve the quality of the graduate training process, these regulations are formulated following the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council and other relevant regulations of the Ministry of Education, and concerning the actual conditions of the University.
Article 2 Graduate supervisor (supervisor) recruitment should meet the requirements for training graduates to support the national economy, science, and social development, strengthening the team of graduate supervisors in the University, and promoting the establishment of subjects.
Article 3 The new verification procedure has been added to the supervisor recruitment with duty assessment and regular checks to form an orderly and flexible system.
Chapter Two New Verification Procedure
Article 4 Supervisors should meet the following requirements: obey all Chinese laws, love graduate education career, have a comprehensive knowledge of policies, laws, and regulations of Chinese academic degrees and graduate education, have academic morals and a strict attitude towards academic studies to be s for graduates, perform the duties of a supervisor and wsampledork on the front line of teaching and researches, take the responsibility to instruct graduates and at least 6 months every year of guidance on position should be guaranteed.
Article 5 New basic requirements for doctoral supervisors:
(1) Title and age: Up till 8-31 in the year of application, teachers on duty and supervisors with senior titles certified by the personnel department should be under 60. Excellent vice senior titled supervisors and extraordinarily excellent ones with medium titles should be under 55. Chair professors and distinguished professors should be under 65. CAS and CAE academicians should be under 75.
(2) Research projects and funds: Supervisors should have proper research projects for doctoral graduate training. The projects should have theoretical importance and value in practice. Doctoral supervisors should have sufficient funds for doctoral graduate training and be able to cover part of graduates' tuitions and provide an allowance for doctoral graduates following relevant regulations.
(3) Academic achievements: Supervisors should have published high-level papers, and monographs in recent 3 years, or have been awarded by provincial or higher level departments. The final verification will be determined by the Schools.
(4) Quality of instruction: Supervisors should have a good reputation in supervising graduates, haven't been involved in any teaching or training issues or incidents, and can instruct graduates. New requirements include that supervisors should have experience in instructing graduates before and have at least once fully instructed graduates till their graduation, or are supervisor members in foreign doctoral graduates training groups and have assisted to train doctoral graduates.
(5) Numbers of doctoral graduates one can instruct in the University: Supervisors can only mentor a certain number of doctoral graduates following relevant regulations of different Schools, and if the student number exceeds the limitation, supervisors should stop recruiting students temporarily.
(6) Other Requirements set by Schools
Article 6 New basic requirements for graduate supervisors:
(1) Age: Up till 8-31 in the year of application, supervisors with senior titles should be under 60. supervisors with vice senior titles and medium titles should be under 57.
(2) Title: Supervisors should have a PhD degree and a medium (or higher) title.
(3) Research: Supervisors should have proper research projects and sufficient funds for graduate training.
(4) Academic achievements: Supervisors should have published high-level papers, and monographs in recent 3 years, or have been awarded by provincial or higher level departments. The final verification will be determined by the Schools.
(5) Experience of guidance: Supervisors should have assisted to train graduates, have a good reputation, haven't been involved in any teaching or training issues or incidents, and can teach graduates.
(6) Other Requirements set by Schools
Article 7 Academic Degree Evaluation Committee of Schools should stick to disciplines of fairness, justice, and openness following high standards to ensure the quality of supervisors. Besides, Schools should also set specific application requirements based on the features of the subjects.
Article 8 Every June, new doctoral supervisors can be added to the supervisor list. Every March, June, September, and December, new graduate supervisors can be added to the supervisor list. New supervisor applications should be approved by the Academic Degree Evaluation Committee of the School of the subject intended to recruit students. And after the faculty and the Academic Degree Evaluation Committee of the University put the applications into the record, supervisors can be added to the list. Doctoral supervisors are allowed to recruit graduates of the same first-level discipline and do not need to submit extra applications.
Chapter Three Assessment and Quit
Article 9 Supervisors have the core responsibility of teaching and role modeling the appropriate ethical behavior of academic professionals. Therefore, Schools should regularly assess supervisors and take supervisor ethics as the primary requirement for recruitment with the one-vote veto system if there is a moral failure of supervisors. Job assessment should follow SJTU Regulations on Teaching and Role Modeling of Graduate Supervisors (official Chinese version: 沪交研【2018】200 号) and assessment of supervisors formulated by Schools.
Article 10 Supervisors who are barely qualified or unqualified for the assessment will be disqualified from recruiting students temporarily or supervising any students.
Article 11 Supervisors who have left their job positions, are over-aged, or have retired should not recruit any student. Schools should regularly list supervisors who have left their job positions, who are over-aged, who have retired, and who are barely qualified or unqualified for assessment, and report to the Degree Committee of the University in time to remove these supervisors from the supervisor list.
Chapter Four Other Regulations
Article 12 To encourage the training of graduates of interdisciplinary subjects, supervisors are allowed to recruit doctoral students of interdisciplinary subjects but must report to the Academic Degree Evaluation Committee of Schools of the interdisciplinary subjects. The Committee also should assess the recruitment by following the regulations in Article 9. For graduate recruitment, supervisors can only recruit students of the same first-level discipline and must apply for assessment if the discipline is changed.
Article 13 Principally, personnel who are not employers of the University or can only stay on campus for a short period (no longer than 3 months) should not be recruited as supervisors of the University. If Schools have to recruit these personnel as doctoral supervisors to push through the development of certain subjects, the number of students they can recruit is should be determined by the Schools and the University will not make extra arrangements. Meanwhile, Schools must assure there is a doctoral supervisor of the subject on duty to be the second responsible person and report it to the Graduate School.
Article 14 Dissension Handling. If there is any argument or dissension about applications, it should all be reported to the Degree Affairs Office of the University in written form. After the Office receives the dissension application, the Office will send it to the Academic Degree Evaluation Committee of the University for reconsideration, which will be the final decision.
Article 15 These regulations are subject to interpretation by the Graduate School and come into force on September 1, 2019. In case of any discrepancy with previous provisions, these regulations shall prevail.