(This is a translation of the official version in Chinese 沪交研 47号. In case of any discrepancy, the Chinese version shall prevail.)
Chapter One: General Provisions
Article 1 To improve the cultivation mechanism of international students in the University, standardize the application and management of all-English degree programs for international graduate students and combine the actual conditions of the University, these regulations are specially formulated.
Article 2 All-English degree programs for international graduate students referred to in these regulations apply to all kinds of master degree programs offered by the University for international students, which are taught and research-guided in English.
Article 3 Basic principle:
(1) These regulations should be conducive to attracting outstanding international students, expanding the enrollment scale of international graduate students, and improving the quality of international students.
(2) These regulations should be conducive to standardizing the management of the training process and improving the level and quality of international education.
(3) These regulations should be conducive to building an international education brand project and expanding the influence of the University’s international education.
(4) These regulations should be conducive to promoting the development of the disciplines and promoting the internationalization of SJTU.
Chapter Two: Organization and Management
Article 4 The International Office of the Graduate School is responsible for the organization and management of all-English programs for international graduate students offered by all departments. Its main responsibilities are: guiding departments to apply, manage and renew all-English degree programs for international graduate students; carrying out process monitoring and post-evaluation of the whole school’s projects; accepting, supervising, and handling the feedback on the development of the projects.
Article 5 The leaders in charge of graduate teaching in each School (Department) are responsible for the leadership, organization, coordination, and management of the all-English degree programs for international graduate students in their School (Department). They should follow the relevant policies and regulations of the University to complete the recruitment and training of international graduate students for the programs they are responsible for.
Chapter Three: Application and Approval
Article 6 Application Conditions
The Schools (Departments) applying for the all-English programs for international graduate students should have the teaching and scientific research conditions required to carry out the programs, as well as the corresponding faculty and financial support. The specific requirements are as follows:
(1) The applied all-English degree program should be the discipline that the School (Department) has degree-granting qualifications.
(2) The graduate program should be formulated for international graduate students, to specify the requirements for course study, scientific research, thesis, training process management, etc.
(3) The number of all-English courses and the number of credits offered by the School (Department) must meet the requirements for international graduate courses specified in the graduate program.
(4) Supervisors who plan to recruit international graduate students in all-English programs should have the ability to use English as their working language to guide the students’ research and have research projects and research funds that can support the students to complete their degrees.
(5) The Schools (Departments) should provide funds, policies, and institutional safeguards for international graduate students to complete the all-English program.
(6) The enrollment programs have sufficient market appeal and are of significance for improving the University’s internationalization and talent cultivation.
Article 7 Application Process
The School (Department) that applies for the all-English programs for international graduate students should fill in the Application Form for SJTU All-English Degree Program for International Graduate Students and submit it to the Graduate School. The application form includes the background and necessity of the program, training objectives and training scheme framework, faculty and curriculum system, enrollment way and scale, length of study, degree awarding method, cost and charging standards, difficulties and problems existing in the courses, etc.
The academic plan of the all-English degree program should be examined and approved by the Degree Committee of the discipline.
Article 8 Application Time
The School (Department) that applies for the all-English programs for international graduate students should submit the Application Form to the Graduate School before September 30th of each year. In principle, after the application is approved, the program should run/enroll for three consecutive years from the fall semester of the next year. For programs that need to change information or stop enrollment, applications should also be submitted to the Graduate School before September 30th.
Article 9 Program Approval
The Graduate School will organize an expert examination committee to evaluate and select the application programs in early October. In mid-October, the all-English programs for international graduate students planned for the next year will be announced and listed in the admission catalogue.
Chapter Four: Evaluation and Renewal
Article 10 Program Evaluation and Renewal
The School (Department) that is responsible for the approved program should submit annual summaries of the program to the Graduate School by September 30th each year. The Graduate School organizes experts to evaluate the renewal programs and decide whether to approve the renewal according to the evaluation results.
Chapter Five: Supplementary Provisions
Article 11 These regulations are subject to interpretation by the Graduate School of SJTU and come into force as of the date of promulgation.